With the holidays coming up, we want to remind you about the potential dangers that could make your jolly holiday an expensive one.
Many people look at getting kittens, puppies, or other young family additions. Here is a list of potentially dangerous items:
- Holiday Tree- make sure it is tightly secured so there is no chance it can tip over and hurt any pets nearby.
- Light strands- can deliver potentially lethal electric shocks, and if punctured, batteries can cause burns to the mouth and throat.
- Tree water- is a breeding ground for bacteria that could cause nausea, diarrhea or stomach upset.
- Decoration hooks- can cause puncture wounds, perforations and/or obstructions in the digestive tract.
- Tinsel/ Ribbon- can cause severe vomiting, obstructed digestive tract, dehydration and could even require surgery.
- Candles- curious paws and happy wagging tails could knock them over, potentially burning your pet or starting a fire.
- Snow Globes- are made with ethylene glycol, the same chemical used in antifreeze, which is highly toxic to all pets.
- Mistletoe- can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems if ingested by pets.
You also want to be careful with all the delicious foods. Many things we find delicious can be toxic to our furry family members. Here is a list of potentially dangerous food items:
- Turkey and Chicken bones- might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.
- Chocolate- contains substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, and can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death.
- Grapes and Raisins- can cause kidney failure.
- Macadamia nuts- can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs.
- Almonds, Pecans, and Walnuts- contain high amounts of oils and fats that can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets.
- Garlic and Onions- can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage and anemia.
- Salt- Large amounts can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Ice melt and salt-dough ornaments—even when dry—may be enticing to pets but can cause life-threatening imbalances in electrolytes.
- Fat trimmings/ turkey skin- is quite fatty compared to what your pet normally eats and it can cause digestive upset and possible pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas characterized by severe vomiting and abdominal pain).
- Alcohol- can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.
Potential Cost from Holiday Emergencies
Chocolate Ingestions- $3000
So please keep dangerous items and foods away from your pets this holiday season. We want everyone to enjoy your time with family and friends without the hassle and stress of pet emergencies.
Written by Jackie Brochu, Veterinary Technician
“Keep Your Pet Safe from These 10 Holiday Hazards! .” ASPCA, 24 Nov. 2021, https://www.aspca.org/news/keep-your-pet-safe-these-10-holiday-hazards.
“Animal Poison Control FAQ: Turkey.” Facebook, https://m.facebook.com/nt/screen/?params=%7B%22note_id%22%3A10157804910111139%7D&path=%2Fnotes%2Fnote%2F&paipv=0&eav=AfajGLO_KFge2Gj4FaPPhp-gax3V-hi_TYcJEiaPgkFUdtkmLLsa8HWoLCMe4wbIe5A&_rdr.